- Check for upcoming EOL dates for supported OS
- Tell users of the deprecation and upcoming removal of support
- Tell other internal stakeholders about the deprecation and upcoming removal of support
- Remove support for an OS
GitLab provides Omnibus packages for operating systems (OS) only until their end of life (EOL). After the EOL date of the OS, GitLab stops releasing official packages. The following content documents how to:
- Deprecate and remove support for an OS.
- Communicate this information to internal and external stakeholders.
Check supported operating systems to see EOL dates for supported OS.
Slack reminders to check the EOL dates are sent to the Distribution team’s Slack channel on the first day of every quarter.
If you find an OS has an EOL date in the upcoming quarter, open an issue to discuss the deprecation and removal timeline. We provide a path forward for users who are affected by this by making sure:
- We can build packages for the next version of the OS.
- Our package repository provider, Packagecloud, supports packages for the new version.
After we decide to deprecate support for an OS, we tell affected users through appropriate channels, including:
- In the next and following GitLab release blog posts, until removal.
- At the end of
To add the deprecation notice to the blog post, message the Distribution team PM in the issue to open necessary merge requests in the website repository.
To add deprecation notice to the end of
gitlab-ctl reconfigure output, add
the OS information to the
You must tell customer-facing teams about the deprecation and upcoming removal of support for the OS. Announce the deprecation in the following Slack channels:
#support_self_managed- Support team catering to our self-managed customers.
#customer-success- Customer Success team of our Sales division.
When the OS EOL date has passed, open an merge request to the
omnibus-gitlab project to
remove CI/CD jobs for that OS from the CI/CD configuration. These jobs include:
- Spec jobs that run in the development repository
- Package build and release jobs that run in the Release mirror.
Message the PM and all other necessary Slack channels to tell every stakeholder about the removal of support.
When the last version which supported the OS is out of the maintenance window, open an merge request to remove the builder image from the Omnibus Builder project.